Benjamin is currently going through an occupational crisis. Even though he still likes dinosaurs, he has decided that he no longer loves them enough to be a paleontologist. After going to the Mayan, he decided that he wanted to be a diver. He has been practicing his diving by jumping off the couch into our Love Sac. But then after taking a tour of the emergency room with Daddy and getting free chocolate milk out of the refridgerator there while Jacob was hospitalized, he realized that Daddy's work is "really cool", and decided to be a doctor part time-- so as to not give up his diving. But then a couple of days ago as we were walking home from the playground he told me, "Do you know what would be totally awesome? To be a garbage truck driver! I want to be a garbage truck driver when I grow up so that I can see inside the garbage truck!" I tried to be supportive and show unbiased enthusiasm for his career choice. So at that point his plan was to ditch being a doctor and do diving and garbage truck driving. But then yesterday he asked me what he needs to do to become a diver, and I told him that a good place to start would be to take swimming lessons and learn to put his face in the water. At that point he decided that he no longer wanted to be a diver. He thought for a minute and then asked, "What do I have to do to become an expert?" I asked, "An expert in what?" And he said, "You know-- an expert-- like Uncle Jeremy (our friend in Baltimore who knows everything about insects, animals, and dinosaurs). I always ask him things that I don't know." So now the plan is to be an "expert." Sounds like a good idea to me-- better than being a garbage truck driver at least!

Comments

Cambrienelson said…
that reminds me of how I felt as I was entering college.
At least he has a few more years to make a firm decision. Benjamin already is an expert-- an expert on dinosaurs!
Unknown said…
Funny how kids will believe exactly what we tell them . . . You can be an expert for your career. Funny Benjamin.
Gramps said…
He can combine his choices. He can become a dumpster diver!
Marilyn said…
Funny little kid! A blog worth a good chuckle! Thanks for sharing! It is good that his dives are into a love sac, not the brick on the fireplace like CHad tried at about that age...
Chad said…
Wow. He could double major in expertness AND dinosaurs, and then go to med school.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results