This is just a warning for all of you to NEVER need to go on church welfare. I just came from a peach canning assignment. The way they handle the peaches there, any peach that is ripe enough to be canned has to be thrown away because it is bruised to uselessness, and all green peaches, MUST be allowed to be canned, because they are not bruised, so they are fine (never mind that they have no flavor). The guy kept coming and telling us sorters that we were not to reject the green (and I mean GREEN) ones if they surpass the minimum size standard, and I told him that I have be canning home grown peaches since I was a child, and grown peaches and that the green ones had no flavor, and if he didn't like how I was doing it, to feel free to move me to another location. In the end he got his revenge because when my shift was over he didn't tell me (each shift has its own color cap) so I worked an extra 1/2 hour as they require you to keep your watch in your pocket and there isn't a clock hung up to watch. I think he would have left me there for 5 hours if I hadn't checked my watch finally and noticed that all the blue caps were gone but me........
They gave us the option of buying 3 cases to take home. I passed...I wouldn't have them if they Gave them to me! I will not be working at the cannery doing peaches ever again. I guess I should have remembered when my mother said that 20 years ago.

Besides, I canned 6 bushels of tomatoes (mostly by myself) into Spagetti sauce, tomatoe juice, V8 juice, and chili sauce in the last 2 days. So when my dad asked me if I would like 6 bushels of peaches yesterday, I just said NO!
Can I just say that I missed you kids more than ever the last 2 days?!!! :)

Comments

Cambrienelson said…
glad I wasn't there to help. No thankyou!!! store bought spagetti sauce and tomato juice taste better than home-canned anyway!
Gramps said…
HEY! I helped with some of that canning! [grumble rassle frassle I never get credit for anything grumble mope whine]
Marilyn said…
Kim did help, much to my relief, but one of those nights he had his own project going on of hauling out lots of good stuff and old junk to give to the DI...we gave at least a truck load of that to the DI so he was only able to help for a total of about 8 hours compared to my 32 hours...but believe me he was appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results