The lives of my grandkids

I ask you parents of my grandkids should read THIS ARTICLE.   I was listening to KSL radio on the way home and they were talking with some doctor in depth about it.  The reason I'm posting here is because I see my toddler grandkids walking around with whole carrots, grapes, etc. in their mouths and I cringe whenever I see it because we were taught when we were new parents to never let kids that age have anything they could choke on.  I don't say anything because I'm not the parent but that bit on the radio really scared me.  I would hate to lose someone that way so I urge you pay attention to this.  The article says:

Doctors say high-risk foods, including hot dogs, raw carrots, grapes and apples _ should be cut into pea-sized pieces for small children to reduce chances of choking. Some say other risky foods, including hard candies, popcorn, peanuts and marshmallows, shouldn't be given to young children at all.

Comments

Marilyn said…
Yes, it worries me too! I realize when you have a toddler around that likeks to put stuff in the mouth,it will give you a much more difficult job to try to keep small things out of their mouths but I had a ward member that had a 2 year old choke to death, and it still makes me sick to think about it! What a tragedy that would be!
Christa said…
I worry about my kids choking all the time. Even though I cut up grapes and carrots, Jacob puts everything in his mouth and chews it up, and Ty gets into everything-- I just need to move everything small to higher ground, but it's a big task!
Erica said…
Of course we always worry about Emmy choking, as any good parent does. I don't need an article to tell me about that. Thankfully Emmy doesn't like hot dogs, but if she did (and when she tasted them), we cut them up in tiny pieces. Learned that in babysitting class when I was 9. We also cut up the grapes. Guess we'll have to find something else for Emmy to teeth on besides carrots--she loves shredding them with her front two teeth. But I'm with Christa. They put everything and anything in their mouths so it's tough. The important thing is to keep a good eye on them and be aware of what they're doing and what they're getting into.
Erica said…
I should add, though, that articles like these are good reminders to us of the dangers out there. Accidents happen all the time--way too often. A woman in my ward works at a mortuary, and recently they had a funeral for an 18 month old who ate a thumbtack and they couldn't get it out. Those sorts of things scare me like crazy.
Unknown said…
I crawl around on the floor all the time and eat things there -- whole grapes, spiders, carrots, tootsie rolls. I haven't choked yet.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results