I was talking to Cambrie yesterday, about food storage. I have been wanting to get some more rice in our food storage for awhile...especially the way the prices are going up, I wanted to get more before it is way inflated. I have been watching to find it in the large bags, and haven't had any luck with either Costco or the Lindon Cannery. It's been one of those things that you just had to be there WHEN the store opened, for those occasional days that the were able to get some (and they didn't know when that would be) so I have been frustrated. Compounding the problem was the fact that Kim only likes the shorter grain rice (what they use in Japan), and I hadn't even seen any of that in large bags in years. Well, friday, we stopped at Maceys in Orem. We were able to find some in 5 lb bags, and that was all they had. Saturday, Kim was heading to PG for some needed gas etc for the trip he left on today....so I decided to come along, and see if by chance they would have some in at the PG Maceys. I had been told that they wouldn't have any short grain rice in this weekend....but I decided to go anyway, and miraculously, they had it in 25 lb bags! YEAHHH for us! AND it was on sale!!! So we got a great deal on it! I was happy all day.
Cambrie told me that she had heard it didn't last for very long. But it does. Go to http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7797-1-4222-1,00.html it will give you the different shelf life for many basics. White rice is 30 years, same as wheat. Brown rice is only like 3 years...so don't stock up on that. And if you do buy brown rice, don't put it in cans. It makes it go rancid sooner. Anyway, I thought you would all like to know. I have a couple of pages with more info on shelf life of foods not on this link I am including...if your interested, let me know and I will post it.

Comments

Stevo said…
I have a hard time buying products that don't support the Mormon Standards: It sounds like "Nice Hickey"...Come on! Is there a rice product out there with a different name that'd be more suitable? I don't know? Something like "Nice DisneyKissI"?

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results