Movie Review: Stand and Deliver

Chad and I watched Stand and Deliver yesterday. It's a movie about Garfield High School (in East LA) in the early '80s and a phenomenal math teacher who significantly turned things around for the math students there.

We both liked this movie. I definitely recommend it (available for instant streaming on Netflix). It's based on a true story. I liked this movie a lot, mostly because it brought back many, many memories of my mission. There were MANY scenes from an area I served in for 6 months (Garfield High was in that area). Latino kids growing up in LA still have many of the challenges that were depicted in the movie. And still, even when the odds are against them and the "powers that be" don't believe they can achieve anything in life, some of them manage to rise above it and prove them wrong. The challenges and prejudices I witnessed nearly 10 years ago were even more than what they were in the early 80's (time of the movie). My heart reaches out to these latino kids, and bless those people like this amazing teacher who sacrifice so much to turn things around for them and show them there is a better life out there if they just work hard and shoot for the stars.

Just so you know, the movie has a lot of spanglish in it. That's really how they talk in East LA. I loved it and followed the jokes, etc. Chad said he could get the jist of what was going on, but I just thought I'd let you know.

Comments

Marilyn said…
Sounds like one I would enjoy...thanks!
Marilyn said…
It worked!!
Unknown said…
Good movie. I think we have it on DVD if someone w/o Netflix wants to borrow it.
Stevo said…
Isn't that the same movie storyline as "To Sir, With Love"? That movie was made about 30 years ago

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results