Email contact from a possible relative:
"Dear Kim,Whenever I do a search for Groneman on the net, I find a lot of people with that name in the US.As the name Groneman is not very common, both in Europe as in the US, I think it might be possible that somewhere there is a connection between the US and European families.The earliest ancestor that my great grandfather has found was somewhere in 1750. The church records however of before that year were all burnt in a fire. He could trace his and thus also mine, ancestors back to a village called Herbede in Ruhr area in Germany.I was reading on your Groneman blog that your great grandfather was born in the US but that they originally were also from Germany.Our Groneman family is also a very small family that lives in Holland with 2 cousins that live in France.If you are interested, I could give you more details of the European family.
I am also encountering other names of the worldwide Groneman "family" like Bill and Carol, both from NY. Are they related to you?
Regards,
Hans Groneman"

Comments

Cambrienelson said…
Interesting.
I guess that is one benefit of having an uncommon name: if you run into someone with the same name as you, they are most likely related.
Chad said…
I thought our ancestors came from Denmark.

Interestingly enough, you can search LinkedIn on last names. There are several in the US, Germany, and Denmark.
Gramps said…
The do come from Denmark, but I know the name originates in Germany so I know the ancestors come from Germany originally...I wish I could find a link that says who/when moved to Denmark. Also, My Grandpa Christensen came from Denmark so your blood is mostly Danish on my side. Mostly squirrel on your mother's side.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results