Kim takes a new job

I've been working in the Novell Technical Services group since I started. I've been running the Novell Forums for years. I've been running their support/training/consulting web site as well as manage a team of web developers the last couple of years. I've always worked *with* the Novell marketing department and now they want me to be an official marketing dweeb and manage all Novell communities (forums, facebook, myspace, blogs, wikis, etc. etc.). I accepted. I take the forums/SysOps with me but leave behind the rest of what I have been doing so I can concentrate on this. We'll see how it goes. As long as it pays the bills, right?

Comments

Christa said…
Congrats, Pa! Hope that you enjoy the change! Is your job still as secure?
Chad said…
Congratulations, but...

You ARE aware of Novell Marketing's reputation, right? Look up "Incompetent" in the Thesaurus and you'll find a reference to Novell Marketing.

They're taking a well known expert in the technical forums space and placing him in the marketing department.

How much freedom are they giving you? If you're under much supervision at all, I wonder if this might be a not-so-good career move.

Then again, NTS's reputation has been going downhill ever since they decided to send jobs to India. Maybe this was a better career move, but I wonder if it may be better to find a new company altogether.
Chad said…
If you can turn around Novell's marketing department, obviously this would be a good career move.

They need some serious help.
Gramps said…
Christa: Secure? Ha...no job in this industry is ever secure.
Chad: Yea, I know. It's a chance for me to at least make the community portion of Marketing to work right. I'll be pretty much autonomous. New company? You think I want to move to Redmond or Chicago? Don't think so.
Unknown said…
Wow. How long has this been in the works? I've heard nothing about it. But maybe that was intentional to not spread the word around too much before it happened.

Hope it's works good for ya.
Gramps said…
It's been in the works for a few weeks now. No purpose in saying anything until the ink dried.
Cambrienelson said…
cool. ihope you like it

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results