Hi yall. I have been offered a new job! It's not my dream job, but it's better than where I'm at right now. I'm considering it, and need to make my decision on Monday.

The company is small, based out of Missouri, called ISSI. I'd officially work for them, but really, I'd be working for LinuxNetworx here in Utah. They're in Bluffdale, pretty close to the prison. I'd have an office in the LinuxNetworx building.

I'd be doing a lot of travelling -- the job is doing Linux cluster installations and configurations, on high end clusters (4 to 8000 servers per cluster). They say on average I'd be away three days a week on average, and sometimes (but rarely) would need to work over a weekend. Oh, and all my expenses while travelling are paid for, and my own miles to / from the airport.

The pay is about 20% more than what I make right now. I'm still in the process of comparing benefits. It looks like Novell's benefits are a little better, but I'm still comparing.

Right now I'm thinking I'm going to accept it. Thoughts?

Comments

Cambrienelson said…
Steve: All I can say is "golinux"
Unknown said…
More money is good...
Cambrienelson said…
More $ is good, but you wouldn't move up there would you? I'd stay in Provo... but commuting is no fun either. good luck with that decision
Christa said…
Brigham:
$$$=Good
Benefits=Good but often overrated
Bluffdale=watch for people running around in funny looking jumpsuits
Chad=Lucky dude
Chad said…
Hmm.. It turns out there's no Prescription coverage, which is huge for me. I'm looking into getting prescription insurance, but all I can seem to find is Discount prescription cards. Which are not what I want. Still looking, though.
Gramps said…
When your prescriptions cost $1k/month that could be a deal breaker. Travel gets old fast, but overall, if you can get independant insurance to cover prescriptions, it would be a good stepping stone job for you I think.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results