It's 9/11

I remember watching the burning tower, the plane hitting the 2nd tower, the confusion as a plane hit the Pentagon and another went down in Pennsylvania. It's one of those days you just never forget. There have been many national tragedy days in my life, much like the day I remember watching the presidential parade in Dallas when President Kennedy was shot. Later, I remember watching his brother celebrate primary elections victories when he was shot and killed in California. I didn't see it at the time, but I remember the day the news reported Martin Luthor King was killed. I remember the tragedy of Apollo 1 when three astronauts were killed. I remember watching live the Challenger shuttle explode, and years later watching news reports of Columbia breaking apart as it tried to reenter the atmosphere. I remember the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City. I remember reports of Utah soldier deaths in Viet Nam. I remember the day the US abandoned Saigon & the war. I remember the huge Alaskan earthquake in 1964. I remember the stacked highway collapses in California in 1984. I remember students being shot at Kent State by the National Guard. I remember watching news reports all through my life of various tornadoes in the midwest, hurricanes along our eastern & gulf coasts, and massive floods along the Mississippi. Thinking about it this morning, I've witnessed numerous days of what I would call national tragedies.

On the other hand I watched on TV the day John Glen orbited the earth. I was young, but remember the news report of President Kennedy saying we were going t land a man on the moon. I watched live on TV the day man landed on the moon later that decade. I was at there in person when Ladybird Johnson dedicated the Flaming Gorge Dam and watched the news reports of the Glen Canyon dam a couple of years later. I've watched civil rights for blacks and other minorities blossom from the discrimination and segregation of the 1960s, through the civil rights act of 1964, to the freedom enjoyed by everyone in the 1980's & 90's. I remember being at the ceremony when the community of our area of Orem gathered at the Spencer Elementary School when they lowered the flag with 48 stars for the last time and raised the flag with 50 stars for the first time.

I remember numerous times in my life when I've felt lucky to have been born in the USA. I still feel that way. I also feel lucky to have been born when I was born. My grandfather had to fight in World War I. I had uncles who had to fight in World War II. I got a draft card my last year of high school but the Viet Nam war ended before I had to go. None of my children had to fight in a war. I've lived in other countries that are considered "modern" but the lifestyle can't hold a candle to what I've had living in Utah. Sometimes just thinking about the risks and sacrifices this country's founders took to break away from unjust government, the boys and men and women who have sacrificed their lives for our way of life, my eyes well up. Today when I see a person in military uniform, I'm always tempted to go shake their hand and say "Thanks". Dunno why I don't...I should. This country has seen ups and downs, and I'm certain we've not seen the last national tragedy, but I'm also certain we've not seen the last great moment for our country/people.

I hope all my kids are proud to be part of this nation. Your generation is getting in place now and it won't be long until you are running the show. I'm proud of what all you kids are doing with your lives and how you're contributing to what's right with this world. I love all of you immensely.

Comments

Marilyn said…
Well said dear! and AMEN! I have to admit that you remember things that I don't. But I still SEE things more clearly than you, so don't forget it!

I am also very grateful to be a part of this nation, in spite of it's many problems, it is still the best place to be on the planet.
Cambrienelson said…
I had no idea that you had seen so many things!
Living in a 3rd world country for a while sure made me appricate the good ol' USA
Gramps said…
Yea, I've seen a lot, but so does every generation. I remember sitting in my Grandpa LaVar's cabin & having him tell me about him seeing the first automobile that came into Provo. My grandparents and parents told about the great depression and World War II. Stuff happens, and it's not over yet.
Christa said…
Man, you are OLD! But I suspect that my kids will tell me the same thing one day when I tell them about 9/11.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results