Wow! Did President Hinckley ever warn the economic disaster we are currently in. Who could have guessed that it would get so UGLY so fast? You kids didn't grow up hearing your parents talk of their memories of the Great Depression, but I did. There was great hardship all across America. For a time some of my mom's family had to live in a chicken coop as they had lost their home.... Here is some of what Pres Hinckley said "

"Now, brethren, I want to make it very clear that I am not prophesying, that I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order.

So many of our people are living on the very edge of their incomes. In fact, some are living on borrowings.

We have witnessed in recent weeks wide and fearsome swings in the markets of the world. The economy is a fragile thing. A stumble in the economy in Jakarta or Moscow can immediately affect the entire world. It can eventually reach down to each of us as individuals. There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed.. May the Lord bless you, my beloved brethren, to set your houses in order..... If you have paid your debts, if you have a reserve, even though it be small, then should storms howl about your head, you will have shelter for your wives and children and peace in your hearts. That’s all I have to say about it, but I wish to say it with all the emphasis of which I am capable."

por·tent (pôrtnt, pr-)

n.
1. An indication of something important or calamitous about to occur; an omen.
2. Prophetic or threatening significance: signs full of portent.
3. Something amazing or marvelous; a prodigy.

Can I just say that I am SO VERY GRATEFUL THAT I HAVE A PROPHET TO FOLLOW AND OBEY??? Of course, this that I have pasted in here isn't the only warnings that we have received. I don't know about your wards and stakes but here we have been onslaughted with warnings for the last 5 years or so to get our financial house in order, get food storage, get some savings....etc. Nearly every month we got it again. They are not really talking about it anymore, as of this year . I guess they figure that anyone who intended to be obedient would have already done it.
I know that in your situations and being in school and renting and going to be moving, it hasn't been a good time for you kids to do this. But with the ADDITIONAL $700,000,000,000.00 bailout that the Government just approved, that is going to cause prices on everything to rise even more, as they have just lowered the value of the dollar even more. I would still like to urge you to do ALL you can to prepare. I love all of you kids more than you know!!!

Comments

Gramps said…
And more:
"We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard.” (President Kimball, Ensign, May 1976, p. 124).

"For 30 years the leaders of this Church have been telling us to store
food and to prepare for a rainy day. We have listened, many have paid no
attention, and now suddenly disaster begins to strike and some if those
who have been slothful are running to the banks and taking out their
savings, and buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of
foodstuffs. The Lord has given us time to prepare, and many have." Neal A. Maxwell -"New Era," January 1971

"The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah.”
~President Ezra Taft Benson

"As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year’s supply of necessities. I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel. I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over. With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness" - President Kimball
Erica said…
I am thankful for their counsel as well. Thank you for the quotes. I feel Heavenly Father knows when we do the best we can under our individual circumstances.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results