In Need of More Prayers

Just when you think we've reached our quota of requesting prayers for the year, we ask for yet more. We've been neglecting the blog in our quest for survival, and will likely continue to do so for some time, but I'm breaking our silence to ask for yet more prayers-- this time on Ty's behalf. Yesterday at his appointment we were informed that he either has PKU (Dad please insert link to Wikipedia here) or a variant of it. PKU used to be a sentence to watch your child develop more and more mental retardation, have seizures, and die. Thank goodness nowadays that can be prevented by a strict diet-- no protein, meaning absolutely no dairy products, meats, beans, etc. Even a cob of corn exceeds the daily amount of protein a person with PKU can have. If he has it, Ty would have to switch immediately to a special formula and later in life could only eat certain fruits, vegetables, and small amounts of some grains. Can you imagine a teenaged boy living on fruits, veggies, and rice cakes? It's literally what he'd have to do or face brain damage and seizures.

There's a chance that he could have the variant of PKU which would not cause any problems at all since he will never be pregnant. We are praying that that's the one he has. We can't imagine trying to explain to him why he can never have a piece of birthday cake or ice-cream. We would really appreciate any prayers you can offer on his behalf!

Comments

Chad said…
Definitely. I want the best for my nephews!
Erica said…
Oh man, we're praying for you guys. Thanks for letting us know.
Marilyn said…
I will get to the temple, tonight or tomorrow, and get his name on the prayer roll. This request for prayers far exceeds most of the rest of them for quite a while back...and you definitely have mine!
Gramps said…
When Marilyn told me yesterday, my heart sunk. Deep. Here's the link.
Cambrienelson said…
I seems to bad too be true. I'm hoping it is not... prayers will be offered.
BUFFY said…
prayers and fasting on my part. It makes me so sad to think of the kind of life that little guy will have if he has PKU. I was reading online that most infants that test positive for PKU in the screening don't actually have it or they have transient PKU which only lasts a couple o months....I'm praying that it's one of those....
Gramps said…
What Buff said.
Marilyn said…
What Buff said...but brigham told me last night that that this new test is 99.9% accurate.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results