Be a Farmer!


Do you kids remember the book that I used to read to you "Grover, be a Farmer!"? Well, yesterday, I was a farmer. At least I felt like it as I was (with difficulty) shoveling pretty wet manure into the trailer so I could take it home and disperse it on my veggie garden. It has been at least 10 years since it has had straight manure as an additive...and I felt it needed some help. So there I was with the curious sheep coming up to watch me, and the horses that had to move out of my way so that I could wheelbarrow the stuff up into the trailer; the dog was chasing the chickens and the roosters were claiming their domain and in hot pursuit of some of the hens. ...and then there was of course, that "sweet smell" of the farm one couldn't quite ignore. It reminded me of going to my Grandma Rasmussens house when I was a kid. It made me think how easily that could have been my life, if my dad hadn't gotten a degree, especially since both of my parents were raised on farms. It made me wonder why in the world Chad LIKED to go "Muck out the barn" with Bob in England (I wondered about it then too!!)
Kim hasn't felt so great since the Dr took him of Simvistatin (for High Blood Pressure). He had (and has) a nasty headache, so he didn't go with me. I went alone with a deep fear of having to back the trailer up to load it. I did need to back the trailer up...I couldn't, so I walked further to load the trailer. I am very happy to have that job done; and actually...unless Kim can go and do it next time, it probably will never happen again...because now my hernia is really bugging me. I did not lift anything heavier than Jacob...but I needed a pitchfork because it was very difficult getting it in the shovel with all that straw mixed in it. I guess that because it was lifting something further away from my body, done repeatedly...that caused my pain today. Anyway...that will be the last go for this daughter of a farmer to be a farmer!

Comments

Katie Groneman said…
Yeah, I don't think I'd make a very good farmer... I'm too lazy.
Brigham said…
Simvastatin is for cholesterol, not for high BP. It shouldn't have any effect on headache. Hope he gets feeling better soon.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results