Today's subject: Salt

Salt...simple sodium chloride. All salt on the earth, whether it be found in the sea, in mines, in Salt Lake, etc. is the same...it's sodium chloride. No difference. So......why is it that people (including someone in my house, but I'm not going to name names) are willing to spend twice as much or more for something labeled "sea salt" ? Ooooo.....because someone somewhere said it was better for you. Comon folks, it's sodium chloride. What's the difference between sea salt and table salt? Sea salt hasn't had the impurities removed. Yup....if you add mud, parts of decaying shell fish, and fish poop to it it's claimed to be more healthy and you can sell it for a whole lot more than the regular stuff that has had the fish poop removed. Oh wait....that fish poop has trace minerals that is good for you. Maybe...but I'd rather eat just plain sodium chloride on my watermellon, thank you.

Comments

Cambrienelson said…
I agree. Seasalt probably does have some extra minerals that are good for you that regular salt doesn't have...but you could just save some money and buy a MULTIVITAMIN or eat a normal balanced diet and surely you'd get those minerals elsewhere.
Cambrienelson said…
I agree. Seasalt probably does have some extra minerals that are good for you that regular salt doesn't have...but you could just save some money and buy a MULTIVITAMIN or eat a normal balanced diet and surely you'd get those minerals elsewhere.
Unknown said…
I agree. Seasalt probably does have some extra minerals that are good for you that regular salt doesn't have...but you could just save some money and buy a MULTIVITAMIN or eat a normal balanced diet and surely you'd get those minerals elsewhere.
Marilyn said…
It was Dr Hafen that told me to use sea salt in the nose rinse he gave me the recipe to. It is mined out of salt rock from an ocean many thousand years ago and therefore wouldn't have all of the current pollutions falling out on where it currently where they harvest salt near the great Salt lake. I have only EVER bought 2 containers of it in my lifetime, and 1 of them cost 30 cents more than normal salt. But if we are going to worry about small change, do I need to expound on how much money is wasted in buying soft drinks at a restaurant? Water is better for you and free.
Stevo said…
I had a professor last year that got on his Soap Box and questioned why anyone eats sea salt for the similar reasons you mentioned too.
I personally don't care which salt I eat...my opinion might change if I was the one paying for it though:)

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results