Do Squirrels somehow know what the winter will be?

Clem Robello, our ATV Bud in Marysvale says that according to the farmer's Almanac, this is going to be an early and cold winter. I did notice on our last trip down there last weekend that the squirrels and chipmunks were either fat or had a very thick and long coat...either way, it would help them get through a hard winter. I have never seen such plump squirrels!

Yesterday, it snowed in the valley! The hillsides were covered in snow all the way to the valley floor, and it was snow/sleet on my windshield in AF. It froze my tender plants last night, and some years they have made it till just before Halloween. But the cold temps didn't last for long; I was just out picking raspberries and blackberries with no jacket and it is very pleasant 67 degrees.
It was a quick change though! The day previous was 86 degrees and that is the kind of weather we have been getting for most of the month here....so the 50 degree drop in one day felt like a rude awakening that we really are in fall...and coming upon winter.

I am ready for the season change. It will slow down a crazy pace that we have had all summer. Breanna flies in tomorrow for the weekend, until Tues. And I will drive to the "Q" on Wed to spend a week with them.

Comments

Gramps said…
I like the cooler weather.
Christa said…
You guys keep the cold weather there, OK? Don't bring it with you, Mom!
Erica said…
I'm with you, Christa. Oh wait. I live here.

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results