Troopers!

I got to work early this morning and found out that the Utah County Health Dept. was doing H1N1 shots today. We've been wanting Emmy to get that shot so we can take her places again. I called Erica and told her about it, and we decided to go for it. Erica got to the Health Dept around 7:30, and the immunizations started at 8.

There was an enormous line. She'll have to comment or do another post completely, but from what I understand, it went out the door, around the building, into the parking garage, and did loops on every floor of the parking garage. With Emmy and Diaper bag in hand, she got in line. She'd rushed out the door to get there, since we had previously heard that if you get there 10-15 minutes before it opened, you missed the lines. In rushing out, she forgot to get a bottle, and didn't think to get the stroller (why get one if you're going to be in and out in less than an hour?).

Fortunately, the diaper bag did have Cheerios and a sippy cup with juice in it. Erica stood in line with Emmy. For hours. She called me and told me they had successfully gotten the shot at 12:17. That's nearly five hours. Of standing in line. With a baby, trying to keep her off the dirty floor of a parking garage, and trying to keep her happy. What an ordeal! Erica will need to post about it.

The good news is that Emmy and Erica both got a shot. Erica was allowed since she's a designated caregiver for the triplets, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to get one.

The bad news is that Emmy needs a booster shot in four weeks, and currently there's no plans to have an express lane for the kids who need booster shots. I think next time I'll take the day off to help out, because even with a stroller and a stocked diaper bag, five hours is too long for a single adult to stand in line.

Comments

Marilyn said…
What a pain in the tush (and the arm!) After hearing how it went I am nearly GLAD I don't qualify for it! Glad they are protected. Have they had the regular flu shot yet?
Erica said…
Yes, Emmy has had both of her doses of the regular flu shot, and Chad and I got ours last week. So I'm going to be feeling MUCH better going to the NICU from now on (well, actually I think it takes a week to kick in).

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results