Havasupai Trip

For those of you considering the Havasupai trip this summer, here's some info:

For those of you with Google Earth, here's a file I put together with the key locations on it.

Here's the tribe's website. Looks like we have to make reservations through them.

Another website with info.

The hike is about 10 miles through the desert. You can pay $85 for a helicopter if you're a sissy. There is a little village down there, but beings that there's no cars in the whole place, I'm doubting they have a walmart. It's a backpacking trip. Sleeping stuff. Food/stuff to make food (no fires allowed). Water bottles/filter. They let you clean up in the river with biodegradable soap. The hike is classified as moderately strenuous.

By comparison, the Timp hike to the summit is 7.5 miles with a 4580' gain. This hike is 10 miles with about 2500' elevation difference.

And an interesting factoid is that Supai, AZ is the only United States Post Office that still delivers mail by muel. What more reason do you need to go??

Comments

Stevo said…
I've been twice if anyone has any more questions...it's an awesome trip!!!
Marilyn said…
I would have to be the wuss that got the helicopter ride out (probably Kim too)
Cambrienelson said…
I'm totally game. It's all a matter of when. We don't know steve's schedule past June 29th yet.
Brigham said…
This trip idea makes me giddy just thinking about it. I hope we can find a way to make it work.
BUFFY said…
It sounds like fun! Let me know what ya'll decide.
Katie Groneman said…
Steve, do you think going in August would be suicide? How long would it take an average person to get down... and worse, get back? How much stuff do you take? I'm sure Brett has lots of questions for the man who's actually done the trip, here's just a few of mine. I finish my class the week of June 19th, but I still have to defend my thesis after that sometime - so maybe early July? Of course we have no idea what Brett's schedule is like...
Marilyn said…
Brigham...is your comment referring only to Havasupi, or is it also ATV riding? When would you be available?
Unknown said…
By the way, this post was in no way meant to trump the ATV trip idea. We had talked about this a long time ago, and adjourned with the assignments of looking up info. I posted this before I read the comments discussion on the ATV trip blog posting.

Personally I'd like to do both trips. It'd be fun to have whoever can come along on this trip to join. And hey, a helicopter ride for some might not be unreasonable...
Stevo said…
As long as you can survive the heat from the hike you're ok since there's a lot of shade in the campground and swimming areas even. You have to book the trip like yesterday though b/c it fills up fast.
Exiting the canyon could be done by mule or horse too:)

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results