Movie Review: The Prestige

I went and saw The Prestige yesterday, as it appeared to be the most interesting movie that's come out in a while, and Kirk said it was good.

The title comes from the third and final stage of a magic trick, that brings the applause, such as an object that disappeared reappearing. "The Prestige" is about a couple of magicians, set in London in the early 20th century. These two begin as friends, but after an accident, they become enemies who try to damage each other as much as they can, often in ways they ought to be arrested for. Also, one of the magicians is jealous of a trick the other created, and is obsessed with finding out how it's done. The flow of the movie is a little interesting -- it begins in a "present" with one of the magicians in jail, and from there it jumps to a relatively recent past, from which it jumps back and forth from, to more distant past events, all explaining how this situation came to be. It eventually reaches the present, and the story continues from there.

The quality of the movie was good -- great cinemetography (sp?), interesting story, good twists (although some are predictable). But it's a little on the dark side, even slightly disturbing. It's nowhere near as disturbing as Skeleton Key, but it was a bit disturbing. I'm not sure how to classify it. It's not a comedy, it has no warm fuzzies, but it's not a horror or a suspense movie either. Nor is it an action or a romance movie. I guess that makes it a drama, and I have a hard time adding dramas to my collection.

If you want to see it, I recommend you wait for it to go to the dollar movie. It's an interesting movie, but not outstanding. I'm content with only seeing it once.

Comments

Chad said…
My next movie review will be Deja Vu. I'll watch a matinee, as I did with the Prestige.
Marilyn said…
I hope that's "We'll watch it as a matinee..."

How are you supposed to ever give me grandkids and Benjamin cousins if you don't take anyone along?

It's a good thing I am not in your presence so that I don't have to take those cold crusty stares you would be giving me right now huh? :) :)
Gramps said…
Skeleton Key looks more interesting to me. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results