On Friday I had a good laugh. Jacob's been sick all week with a cold that aggravated his asthma, and bewteen his symptoms and the steriod the doctor gave him, he hasn't been a very happy camper. Benjamin picked up the cold about halfway through the week. Needless to say, we spent a pretty dull week cooped up in the house. By Friday the fridge was looking pretty bare, and although I knew it was very risky to take a cranky Jacob to the grocery store, I didn't want to waste my Friday date night time grocery shopping, so I decided to risk it. It was definitely the wrong choice. Jacob was not happy to be there AT ALL. He cried and cried despite all of my desperate efforts to appease him with snacks and toys. A dear girl at the pharmacy took pity on me and offered my kids suckers, and Jacob was finally at peace for five minutes while he chewed it up (although I certainly wasn't since I was worried about him choking-- but I was grateful nonetheless). Finally after what felt like a very long and nerve-wracking shopping trip, the big moment to check out came. I was busily bouncing a crying Jacob on my hip so I didn't think about it too much when I saw the checker putting certain groceries to the side. After awhile the bagger asked what she was doing, and the checker looked at me and said, "You're on WIC, right?" I was surprised and shook my head no. Then I took a good look at my snotty, sticky, fussy children, and laughed. The poor checker was very embarrassed, but I can't blame her at all! With Jacob pulling on my hair with his sticky sucker-hands, I'm sure that I was quite the sight myself. I certainly didn't become a mom for the glamor!

Comments

Gramps said…
That's actually kind of a sad statement. Apparently most of the women with children that checker sees are on WIC. Sad.
Marilyn said…
Hey, I would BET that she would qualify for wic, not a problem if she wanted, she could join that little club!

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results