Erica and Christa, check my comments on wheat buckets. One other thing I would add: Wheat takes up less space in bags stacked together than buckets stacked, but really as pricey as wheat is going to get, and since you don't have basements (cooler) to store them in, I would get buckets. I would like to have a 20 year supply of wheat because the price of wheat is NEVER going to go down again. It will only continue to skyrocket.
One other thought, girls : Do you remember the room setup in Virginia? We had a 4 bedroom house, and 5 children. We put 2 children in each room so that we could have a food storage room. We put Breanna when she was born in the family room, next to our bedroom. We had food storage with a family of 7 in a 4 bedroom house. I hear people in our ward say that they just don't want to get any more storage because they have run out of places to put it. But they can't eat their beautiful rooms. In Cambrie's kitchen she has done a smart thing. She has like a banquet table next to her wall, and underneath it is a lot of food. It is covered, to the floor with a table cloth, so it looks good. One could put a lot of food storage underneath a card table in a bedroom, with a cloth to cover it and a nice flower arrangement on the top. Or, you can store like20 cases of #10 cans of storage under your Queen size beds. Is it convenient that way? No. Was it convenient for Noah to build an ark or Nephi to build a ship? No, but their obedience is what the Lord expected for them to receive the blessings that came thereafter. The Lord doesn't care if our wished for setup disappears. He will have an obedient people, and it will be people who have been obedient that will be here to meet him when he comes.

I thought you ought to have an update on my father. Dad's asthma is getting really bad. Last week during an asthma attack at home, he passed out on the floor (I just found out about this 2 days ago), woke up in a puddle of blood, and took himself to the ER to have his head stitched up. I will be very surprised if he makes it till Christmas. All of us kids want him to sell his garden, as we are sure it will be the death of him if he keeps it. But he doesn't want to donate 1/3 of the sale proceeds to the govt if he sells it. Anyone know of a way around that problem?
I would appreciate any suggestions. Keep in mind that at this point, there isn't a way that they would be moving in to any of our homes, (yes, there are several of us that are willing to take them in). They both want their independence, and I don't blame them for that. But it is frustrating, because as long as that garden is there, dad will be in it, and it makes him wheeze just to walk slowly across a short distance. He is a mess. His Dr has him on some new meds. He says that they are helping, but they are drawing to the end of what Drs can do to help him. I would appreciate that your prayers in his behalf. He says that he would like to die 10 minutes after my mom goes, and that he is only hanging on so that he can take care of her in their own home, as she wishes. It is going to be THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE to have to put my dear sweet mother in a lock down unit at a care center if dad goes first. But she is VEHEMENT about NEVER MOVING IN WITH ANY OF HER CHILDREN and if we forced it, she would just leave and get lost. Dad needs to outlive her. Please add that to your prayers if you will. Thanks Kids. I sure love you all!

Comments

Christa said…
I can't find any new comments. I still want to know how long wheat lasts in the mesh-type bags vs. buckets.
Erica said…
I think I prefer to can the wheat, in those big cans (at least a lot of it). We can buy those at the cannery, right? I think it's easier to store that way. We'll put some in buckets as well, but I'm trying to figure out the space issue.
Marilyn said…
Christa, look in my comments under March 18. Wheat lasts in mesh type bags in a cool, dry place will store indefinitely...you could eat it in 50 years, or longer. Wheat in bags in un-ideal circumstances that allow the weevil to reproduce and flourish may not be edible after 10 years. If you put your wheat in buckets, it would be helpful to either buy some of the oxygen absorbing packets from the cannery to put in with it, or else buy some dry ice, which when it "melts" releases alot of Carbon Dioxide into the bucket, which would hopefully kill off anything that was living to reproduce. How much dry ice? Who knows? When I have done it, I have put about 1/3 of a pound in a five gallon bucket. Do I know that is enough? No. Has it worked? well, yes, but I have also stored my stuff in a cool dry place, so maybe I didn't need to anyway.

Erica, when you come tomorrow to do your milk, if you want to bring a bag of wheat or 2 to do, I may have the cans for you to use. They are 80 cents each with the oxygen packets. I don't have to have as many as I got, as I thought I had 2 more bags of milk than I do.
Gramps said…
I just wanna know what time to wash up for dinner......????

Popular posts from this blog

A tale of two Brians

Common Answers: November Results